A problem with ntop after upgrading from 5.3 to stable

Kurt Buff KBuff at zetron.com
Fri Aug 26 17:27:13 GMT 2005

All,

Followed the steps in

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

and all seemed well, as I was able to ssh into the box, postfix is still
happy, etc.

I did the ntop upgrade by doing a 'make deinstall' of 3.0, then a 'pkg_add
-r ntop', which reported success.

However, when I tried starting ntop with

	'/usr/local/etc/rc.d/ntop.sh start'

it just died, without any error on the console, and nothing showing in
/var/log/messages. I then tried just starting it with 'ntop -A' thinking it
might want a new password, and that finally gave an error message:

	/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libpthread.so.2" not found,
required by "ntop"

Just for grins, I also did a 'portmanager -u', which also reported success,
but still no cigar. same error message as above:

	/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libpthread.so.2" not found,
required by "ntop"

I could just flatten the box and try again, but I'd  rather try to figure
this out. I've googled for the error message, but haven't found anything
that seems relevant.

Thanks,

Kurt