releng_6 sysinstall creating labels

Volker volker at vwsoft.com
Fri Aug 26 10:58:22 GMT 2005

Hi!

I guess I found a (new?) issue with RELENG_6 (as of 2005-08-23).

When creating slices and labels by using /stand/sysinstall, the label
editor is miscalculating the partition sizes.

While having a (SCSI) disk outage yesterday night, I've been forced to
put in a new hdu. After labeling it by using sysinstall, sysinstall
aborted at creating the partitions and the filesystems. Error message
has been 'unable to write to da5'.

After that I found that sysinstall created a partition which exceeded
past the end of the slice. As far as I remember it has been 16 bytes
past the end of the slice, but my memories might be wrong.

Because I've been unable to backup my data to tape (another issue with
scsi cam, but I have to check that first before posting), I installed
another 18G hd, created a slice and a partition by using sysinstall
covering the whole disk and even that failed by a partition exceeding
the end of the slice.

Manual corrections by using bsdlabel -e and manually newfs'ing went ok.
This must be an issue with sysinstall and should be fixed before
-RELEASE or someone might not be able to install from CDROM because not
being able to create filesystems (don't you consider that being a show
stopper?).

I'm unable to check if this is a SCSI only issue but I guess it should
be re-creatable on ata systems.

Sorry, but I don't have any other examples for that issue or any dumps,
screenshots etc. I had that hd-crash last night and tried to solve that
first. I might try to recreate that problem on a testing machine at the
weekend and give exact information.

Bye,

Volker

--
GPG/PGP fingerprint:
FF93 13A1 2477 B631 E953 06DF 4C49 ADD9 E4BF 79B1