Network Over Backplane PCI Bus

John-Mark Gurney gurney_j at resnet.uoregon.edu
Fri Aug 26 06:55:19 GMT 2005

Jason C. Wells wrote this message on Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 16:43 -0700:
> Is there a way to run TCP/IP with the PCI bus as a network interface?

You'd have to write your own driver to do it...

> I am installing FreeBSD on CompactPCI processor boards.  It would be really
> slick if I could network the boards via the PCI backplane.

Isn't there usually a single board acting as master, and all the other
boards are children of it?  There has to be some sort of arbitrator...

You could possibly have a master/slave relationship, where the slaves
all present a pci device interface with memory buffer to stick received
packets, and then the master provides a way to program the slaves
where to stick packets in it's memory buffer for transmitted packets..

I've never worked with CompactPCI, so take the above with a grain of
salt..

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579