CVSup timeout

Chris Demers admin at govital.net
Wed Aug 24 11:26:53 GMT 2005

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 18:05:28 +0900, Bryan Buecking wrote
> I posted this issue on fbsd-hackers a week ago and now have still
> not been able to solve this problem.
>
> Basically I receive an error every time I run CVSup on RELENG 5.4 and
> 6.0 Beta 2 saying:
>
> "Detailer failed: Network read failure: Connection timed out"
>
> Running CVSup on RELENG 4.11 causes not error, and completes
> successfully.  I also ran CVSup on Linux successfully.  Please note
> that I've been testing CVSup with the same box for all versions of
fbsd/Linux.

> The network is behind a firewall, which I figure is causing me
> grief. I'm using ipfilter v.3.4 on NetBSD:
>
> ipf: IP Filter: v3.4.29 (336)
> Kernel: IP Filter: v3.4.29
> Running: yes
> Log Flags: 0 = none set
> Default: pass all, Logging: available
> Active list: 1
>
> my fw rule for cvsup is:
>
> pass in proto tcp from any to 192.168.123.0/24 port = 5999 flags S
> keep state group 200
>
> I know this works, since I can successfully CVSup from other machine
> on the network.  Note that CVSup will successfully update some files,
>  but will generally stop after 4 or 5 files update.  I once was able
> to update the entire contents of ports-base.
>
> When running tcpdump on the internal/pppoe interface of the fw I get:
>
> (Although I'd expect that the fw is blocking packets, nothing is
> getting blocked/logged.)
>
> http://www.vanten.com/tcpdump/lan
>
> Please take note that multiple attempts to send
>
> 17:35:49.358159 192.168.220.77.60332 > 210.188.224.44.5999: .
> 2566:3968(1402) ack 34152 win 32947 <nop,nop,timestamp 21372828
> 2247105969> (DF) (ttl 64, id 4218, len 1454)
>
> failed to make it to the outside interface, as shown below..
>
> On the internet interface:
>
> http://www.vanten.com/tcpdump/pppoe
>
> As for ipnat, everything is mapping correctly ie internal ports to
> external ports, and the NAT session isn't ending prematurely.
>
> I have spent too long trying to figure out where my problem is, and
> I'm hoping with the help of some fresh eyes I can finally get this
> fbsd box up and running.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Bryan Buecking

Greetings,

I have run into this myself in my own home network, what I have found that
fixed it is I just adjusted the MTU on all my stations with problems to the
size of the pppoe packet size.  From the error try changing it to in your
case 1454 and see if the error goes away.

--
Chris Demers
admin at govital.net
www.govital.net