6024H-T / X6DHT-G / Marvell H2 SATA

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Wed Aug 24 03:56:44 GMT 2005

fbsd wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> For 5.4, FreeBSD AMD64 (and i386) is not able to recognize my diamond-max 160G SATA drives on a Supermicro 6024H-T / X6DHT-G board with the default Marvell H2 SATA ctrl'r.  There are SATA drivers for RH, FC3 and Windows from Supermicro:
> ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/driver/Diskimag/Adaptec/Marvell/H2/
>
> Is there any way to get FreeBSD to run on this machine?  It runs on windows so it does not appear to be hardware or BIOS config.
>
> It's a dual XEON (Nocona) 3.2G board with the Intel E7520 chipset.
>
> Thank you,
> Sejo

Marvell does not release programming specs for their SATA chips, nor do
they sell them for use as stand-along SATA controllers.  The drivers
that are on the Supermicro site are for Adaptec's software RAID solution
that uses the Marvell chips.  These drivers are binary only,
unfortunately.  It's a shame, because the Marvell chips are actually
pretty good.  My challenge for someone to reverse engineer them is still
open.

Scott