USB camera

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue Aug 23 19:48:50 GMT 2005

> Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:36:21 +0300
> From: Oleg Korecky <lw at land.ru>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
>

>    Did sombody know how I able grab video stream from USB camera ?
>
>        Sorry for my bad english!

Far better than my Russian!

I'm afraid FreeBSD currently lacks support for USB video devices. There
has been discussion of both porting V4L to BSD or creating a BSD video
system, but I have yet to see any indication of when or if either will
actually be available.

As of today, the only video input available for FreeBSD is a video
capture card using bktr(4). These devices are fairly inexpensive (at
leat in the US) at about $25. Less on ebay. But you then need a camera
offering composite video out and these can be a bit harder to come by.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)