broken fxp driver in 4.x ...

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Mon Aug 22 04:38:01 GMT 2005

Several months ago, on one of our servers, we had an issue where if we
moved an IP between the servers, the 'ifconfig alias' on the server with
the em device seemed to 'hang' for 60 seconds or so (instead of coming
back right away like the other servers), and, for some reason, it didn't
send the arp out onto the network properly, so upstream routers weren't
being made aware of the change ...

Subsequent cvsup updates of the 4.x tree eventually got rid of that issue,
and the problem went away ...

Now, on one of our newer servers runnign a fairly recent cvsup of 4.x, the
fxp driver is doing the exact same thing ... all the other fxp based
servers do a nice quick 'ifconfig alias' for an IP, and arp broadcasts are
sent out, but on this one, I get the '60 second hang' and have to get our
network guys to clear arp caches for  the changes to take effect :(

Has anyone else running 4.x experienced this?  Or am I just unlucky with
these things?  Is there a way of fixing it?

Thanks ...

----