6.0-BETA2 as reliable webserver?

Mark Kirkwood markir at paradise.net.nz
Sat Aug 20 00:14:40 GMT 2005

Frans-Jan v. Steenbeek wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm a sysadmin and a web-programmer at a company in the Netherlands. In
> the following month we will launch a webshop which will have a estimated
> 1000 full hits in the first weeks (estimated through calculation of the
> marketing-departement). I am writing the webshop, and have installed the
> webserver. Because of issues with our housing, we can't put our HP
> webserver to use, since it produces to much noise in our very small
> building. Since we are moving in a few months, we decided to use a HP
> laptop instead (reasonably fast CPU, 512 Megs) since we had a few to
> spare.

I would recommend:

Not to use a laptop for a web (or any sort of) server, as laptops
typically are not designed for this sort of use (e.g. some will overheat
if you never let 'em sleep, and they generally have terrible IO
performance).

Find yourself a spare desktop box (e.g. a fast PIII with 512Mb will be
at least as fast and more reliable as a server). There should be no
noise issue with such a box either (funnily enough, I'm typing this on a
PIII 1Ghz with 512Mb - and it's pretty much silent).

Run 5.4-RELEASE or 5.4-STABLE (or 4.11-RELEASE even), as, ahem, they are
stable....

Finally did you really mean 1000 hits per week?

Cheers

Mark