update from 5.4RELESE to 5.4RELEASEP1 how

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri Aug 19 21:26:43 GMT 2005

> Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 20:39:00 +0200 (CEST)
> From: daniel at unixcore.com
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
>
> I'm sorry, I wrote the last mail a little quickly, and forgot a very
> important point!
>
> > (if no cvsup is installed) # pkg_add -r cvsup-without-gui
> > (norwegian cvsup mirror) # cvsup -h cvsup.no.freebsd.org
> > /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile
> > # cd /usr/src
> > # make buildworld -j 4
> > # make buildkernel KERNCONF=mykernel
> > # make installkernel KERNCONF=mykernel
> > # mergemaster -p
> > # make installworld
> > # reboot
> >

> should be:
>
> # cvsup -h cvsup.no.freebsd.org /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile
> # cd /usr/src
> # make buildworld -j 4
> # make buildkernel KERNCONF=mykernel
> # make installkernel KERNCONF=mykernel
> # mergemaster -p
> # make installworld
> # mergemaster
> # reboot
>
> Sorry for the type-o/mistake.

This works, but it is not safe. The documented procedure is:
# make buildworld
# make buildkernel KERNCONF=mykernel
# make installkernel KERNCONF=mykernel
# mergemaster -p
# shutdown -r now
reboot to single user mode!
# adjkerntz -i
# swapon -a
# mount -a -t ufs
# cd /usr/src
# make installworld
# mergemaster
# reboot

The added reboot allows you to confirm that the new kernel is OK before
installing the new system. If you have installed world and then cant
boot the new kernel, you might being very bad shape, depending on what
has changed between the new and old system.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)