nve0 nvidia onboard ethernet dies daily on 6.0 beta1

Sten Spans sten at blinkenlights.nl
Fri Aug 19 13:16:30 GMT 2005

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, O. Hartmann wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I'm also interested in fixing the omnipresent nve-problems, but reading the
> manpages for nve(4) reveals the bad circumstance that this driver seems to be
> 'wrapped' around a Linux binary object. Nvidia obviously isn't willing to
> offer documentation about the chip's internals so it will be hard to develop
> an open source driver for this NIC. That sounds to me to get happy with a
> 'ever GIANT locked' nve NIC using FreeBSD 6.X

The linux forcedeth driver is supposedly quite decent nowadays,
nvidia even helped adding gigabit support. It should be a good source of
information for building an opensource bsd driver.

That said, nvidia just aint too great at building ethernet chips,
if decent performance is a requirement I'd suggest getting something else.

--
Sten Spans

"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in."
Leonard Cohen - Anthem