firefox, Xorg and crash.

Brandon Fosdick bfoz at bfoz.net
Tue Aug 16 00:02:37 GMT 2005

> Firefox keeps taking X11 and then the whole machine with it.  It
> requires a hard reset as even pinging the machine does not work.  Only
> Firefox seems to be doing this.
>
> Does anyone else have the same problem?
>
> Anyone knows how to solve/debug this?

I've been having this problem for about a month now. The machine doesn't
always lock up completely. The times when I can login remotely top shows
Xorg using the 97-98% cpu time. Killing Xorg drops to the console, but its
still unresponsive and I have to reboot. Once or twice this has happened
without firefox running so I'm thinking it might be an Xorg problem.

I've also noticed that sometimes shortly before the lock up fonts start
being replaced with red boxes when a window is refreshed. I've tried
new/more RAM but that didn't seem to help.