Create 2.5TB file system on 5.4S?

Brandon Fosdick bfoz at bfoz.net
Sun Aug 14 21:04:46 GMT 2005

Now that my shiny new 9500S is installed and not fighting for IRQs, I've created and initialized a ~2.5TB array using the bios utility. So the next step is mounting the new array.

I naively tried following the regular handbook instructions for adding a new drive and failed miserably. And after googling a bit I now know why, and realized that I knew why before, but I was being stupid.

I've seen a few mentions of using gpt(8) and some vague references to using dedicated mode. But I haven't seen anything that says "this is the Right Way to do it". So...what's the proper way to make a large file system?