Too short ethernet frame...

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Fri Aug 12 16:36:46 GMT 2005

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 02:37:04AM -0700, Iva Hesy wrote:
> OS: RELENG_6 (Beta2)
> NIC: vr0: <VIA VT6105 Rhine III 10/100BaseTX>
> # tcpdump -penv -i vr0 less 32
> 16:15:42.512701 [|ether]
> 16:15:44.523102 [|ether]
> 16:15:46.522495 [|ether]
> 16:16:00.540387 [|ether]
> 16:16:02.541834 [|ether]
> 16:16:08.550068 [|ether]
> 16:16:10.570483 [|ether]
> # snort -pev -i vr0 less 32
> Captured data length < Ethernet header length! (0 bytes)
> Captured data length < Ethernet header length! (0 bytes)
> Captured data length < Ethernet header length! (0 bytes)
> When I run rdesktop, more invalid ethernet frame was sniffered...

Most likely, your cabling, duplex configuraion, nic, switch are
misconfigured and a high traffic ap like rdesktop is pushing them over
the edge.  I'd check the duplex settings on each end and try another
cable first.  Then try a different nic and switch if possible.  It's
possible the problem is a driver bug, but it's more likely you've for
some sort of physical network problem.

-- Brooks