ad10: WARNING - READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=11441599

Emanuel Strobl Emanuel.strobl at gmx.net
Wed Aug 10 22:13:03 GMT 2005

Am Mittwoch, 10. August 2005 19:48 CEST schrieb Unix:
> O. Hartmann wrote:
> > Mike Jakubik wrote:
> >>
> >> Right, i have a dead 250GB Maxline Plus II drive on my desk, only
> >> after about 1.5 years. At least its still on warranty.
> >
> > On the other hand: In the department for physics of the athmosphere,
> > where I built six years ago a server for meteorological data, a RAID-5
> > with 4 older IBM U160 SCSI discs still works - 24/7. Never had a
> > problem!
>
> I still own old 1-2 GB old SCSI disks and these are still working, I
> also had an old 500mb SCSI disk that was in an old Mac that also worked
> but I trashed it since it was that old and no longer of use...

I have an old 700 MB WD IDE drive that still works fine and has about 6
years 24/7 survived. And I also had a 2000$ 73G SCSI IBM drive that lasted
for about 5 monthas and was that damadged that Convar sent it back without
one byte recovered! And I don't want to remember the 80GB WD drive that
lasted for 2 months......
Please, don't discuss about SCSI/ATA reliability, there are bad
designed/produced drives and there are good ones. You can't tell before,
only experience counts.
I can say only good things about Seagates Barracuda 7200.8 drives for
example. Some dozends are running for two years without _any_ single drive
failed. Also the Samsung (p)ATA drives are still running without any
single failure. And WDs once were perfect drices, but they also produced
crap. So you can't even be sure by vendor!

-Harry

P.S.: I'm planning to bring up a FreeBSD site which reflects hardware
compatibility experiences as well as long term experiences. I'll be back
if I have more...