ad10: WARNING - READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=11441599

Unix unix at dominique-werner.com
Wed Aug 10 09:31:35 GMT 2005

Joel Rees wrote:

> On 平成 17/08/10, at 7:36, O. Hartmann wrote:
>
>> [...] When is SCSI back for desktops?
>

> I vote for that.
>
> In my opinion, ATA is primarily for home media systems, if that.
>
> Joel Rees   <rees at ddcom.co.jp>
> digitcom, inc.   株式会社デジコム
> Kobe, Japan   +81-78-672-8800
> ** <http://www.ddcom.co.jp> **

I thought the WD Raptors were supposed to replace the SCSI for that
purpose. I used to run one in a Powermac and performance wise it behaved
very well, unfortunately I haven't had the chance to test the 30 or 70
GB WD Raptor SATA in FreeBSD..S/ATA drives should never be used for 24/7
or server use anyway, they die after a while, in my case, two 80gb
seagate drives after 1.5 yrs with proper cooling...thing is that SCSI
drives are not affordable to the regular home server user...if they
were, I bet more people would use them so that's why the current
alternatives are ATA and SATA and SATA Raptors.