dhclient: send_packet: No buffer space available

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sun Aug 7 17:43:52 GMT 2005

Pertti Kosunen wrote:
>> What could cause dhclient sometimes to fail renew the lease? I updated
>> world and moved to pf from ipfw same time so i don't know which to blame.
>>
>> This happens from twice a day to every few days.
>>
>> Jul 21 03:44:55 myserver dhclient: send_packet: No buffer space available
>> Jul 21 03:44:55 myserver dhclient: send_packet: No buffer space available
>> Jul 21 03:45:02 myserver dhclient: New IP Address (xl0): x.x.x.x
>> Jul 21 03:45:02 myserver dhclient: New Subnet Mask (xl0): 255.255.254.0
>> Jul 21 03:45:02 myserver dhclient: New Broadcast Address (xl0): x.x.x.x
>> Jul 21 03:45:02 myserver dhclient: New Routers: x.x.x.x
>>
>> Pf.conf & dmesg:
>> http://www.saunalahti.fi/~pkosunen/pf.conf
>> http://www.saunalahti.fi/~pkosunen/dmesg
>

> Anyone know what what could be the problem with dhclient? Some buffer is
> full but what?
>
> Nic is 3Com 3c905B-TX, FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE & PF.

Typically, that sort of message indicates that the firewall rules are
preventing traffic from going out, or packets are getting stuck in a queue
until it fills up, or maybe even a bug somewhere in the particular combination
of kernel firewall options enabled, high optimization or CPUTYPE settings, and
your particular hardware, depending on how lucky you are. :-)

Does the problem go away if you use a trivial "permit all" PF ruleset?
Does the problem go away if you use a trivial IPFW "permit all" instead of PF?
Does the problem go away if you use a stock 5.4 release kernel?

The 3Com 3c905B-TX is an OK NIC, apparently the later C revision or the
918/920's are pretty decent, but anyway--

...does the problem go away if you switch to another (known good) NIC?

--
-Chuck