"Shutdown -p now" not working in 5.4 STABLE

mse_software at charter.net mse_software at charter.net
Sat Aug 6 09:00:48 GMT 2005

> From: Zoran Kolic <kolicz at EUnet.yu>
> Date: 2005/08/06 Sat AM 12:39:31 EDT
> To: mse_software at character.net
> CC: freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: "Shutdown -p now" not working in 5.4 STABLE
>
> Hi Mike!
> If you still manage this puzzle,
> is there something in your bios that
> affects 5.4 and not 5.1? Must be
> "power" menue with apm and other
> stuff. Acpi is on and should take
> the whole process for you.
> Best regards
>
>                     Zoran

You were right!

I was using a auto-power up feature to power the machine on automatically at a certain time every day.  Everyting works after disabling it in the CMOS setup.

I was planning to use the `shutdown -p now' command to compliment the auto power on feature in the BIOS to alleviate the need for the client to turn it off and on.  This is not only because there isn't much computer literacy, but also because I didn't want the disks spinning during the time no one is in the office.

I'm curious, between 5.1 and 5.4, was the change made to more accurately represent the hardware the system was running on (fixing a problem), or was it simply due to other circumstances that resulted in the functionality being broken?

I would definitely be interested in creating a patch to regain the functionality if the development team didn't do it for a reason.  I don't want to break what someone else has taken the time to fix.

Thanks,
Mike Eubanks