x for users slow

Andy Sparrow andy at spadger.best.vwh.net
Mon Aug 1 08:50:40 GMT 2005

> On Monday 01 August 2005 17:34, Eriq wrote:
> > after all of this, I notice that it takes a user about a minute after
> > 'startx' to get into X. Yes I know, but I still like the colors :)
> > anyway this doesn't happen when I logon as root and start X. Blackbox is
> > the WM hope this helps.
>
> At a wild guess I would say your DNS is broken.

Umm, yup, maybe.

There might be another phenomena, however. I resisted moving my laptop
from XFree86 to XOrg until it became too much of a pain staying back. I
only switched when VMware broke for me and I needed to try OpenOffice.

When I finally moved to Xorg (and rebuilt all my ports with portupgrade
for good measure), the first thing I noticed was that it took almost a
couple of minutes[0] on my laptop (1GHz PIII) for 'wdm' to display the
login window and overlay the background over the grey weave. The hdd LED
was lit solidly the entire time.

IIRC, the same machine (actually, it had a slower CPU then) with XFree86
took maybe 10-15 seconds when I typed 'wdm&&exit' at a root prompt.

This is with 4.1[01]-STABLE, the built-in graphics are ATI Rage Mobility
(Mach64), not exactly bleeding edge (and fairly well supported).

Other than that idiosyncracy, (and some infrequent odd effects with
either xine or mplayer that can be cleared by re-starting the X server,
at least some of which also happened with XFree68 and are probably due
to the player apps), the Xorg server seems to work just fine. It does
seem to behave somewhat differently to XFree86 on startup, however.

If all he's noticing is a slow X startup with the Xorg server, thats an
<AOL> from me. I can't comment if starting it as a user is even slower,
because I almost never use 'startx', I always run a display manager and
log into that.

Cheers,

AS

[0] OK, I haven't actually timed it, but it's at least a minute,
probably longer and it's 100% consistant.