x for users slow

Mark Kirkwood markir at paradise.net.nz
Mon Aug 1 08:26:10 GMT 2005

Eriq wrote:
>I notice that it takes a user about a minute after
> 'startx' to get into X. Yes I know, but I still like the colors :)
> anyway this doesn't happen when I logon as root and start X. Blackbox is
> the WM hope this helps.

hmmm *not* slow as root suggests permissions - maybe on font
directories? Check out the Xorg log in /var/log.

I used to see the 1 minute startup with previous versions of FreeBSD -
mainly with 'kdm' startup, and running :

(root) # fc-cache -f

would fix it (however in that case root too would be slow, but maybe
worth a try).

Cheers

Mark