NFS client/buffer cache deadlock

Marc Olzheim marcolz at stack.nl
Wed Apr 27 11:42:04 PDT 2005

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 02:34:35PM -0400, Brian Fundakowski Feldman wrote:
> Alright, thanks for helping with this :-) Do you think you can find
> a way to tell if in 4.x you're actually using NFSv3/transactions?  I
> would really like to know why 4.x isn't deadlocking, and that's the
> most plausible explanation I can think of right now.
>
> The behavior could also be totally different due to nfsiod, lack thereof,
> or its settings.  Are you running nfsiod on 4.x, and if so, how many?
> On 5.x+ the default maximum of nfsiods is 20.

The install I ran the speedtest on is:

FreeBSD baroque.ilse.net 4.10-STABLE FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE #23: Wed Aug  4 15:18:52 CEST 2004     root at tango.ilse.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/BAROQUE i386

and runs 6 nfsiods.

How can I tell whether it uses transactions ?

The NFS server is mounted with:

mount_nfs -c -P -a 0 -r 8192 -w 8192 -i -o rw,noatime,nointr host:/path /nfs/host/path

Marc