Newbie Question About System Update

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Mon Apr 25 18:48:34 PDT 2005

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 03:40, Bill Moran wrote:
> Pete French <petefrench at ticketswitch.com> wrote:
> > > KVM requires you to physically _be_ at the colo.
> >
> > ?! Not the one I have for our colo - it's a little java app
> > where I choose a machine from a dropdown and get the video
> > in a window on the desktop.
>
> That's an out of the ordinary KVM.  Would you mind passing on the
> manufacturer of that unit, I'd like to recommend that unit to a number
> of clients/associates of mine.
>
> The point is that a normal, run of the mill KVM doesn't have that
> capability.

They're kind of expensive too :(
I know of 2 sellers of them in Australia
https://www.lindy.com.au/online/arrshop.exe?af=570&as=39401&az=1&ai=1079483
http://www.dcw.com.au/products/kvm.htm

Rose Electronics makes the one DCW sell..
http://www.rose.com/htm/ultralink-Lite.htm

Although it seems there are plenty to choose from (eg Belkin, Cylades, Adder
etc)

I haven't used any because they're too pricey :)
(Still since serial BIOS mobos are rare/expensive it's probably the cheaper
option for a bunch of machines).

You could kernel debug over it except you couldn't cut and paste which would
suck for reporting back traces.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum