nss_ldap / top startup

Oliver Brandmueller ob at e-Gitt.NET
Mon Apr 25 03:59:21 PDT 2005

Hi,

I have some servers running running on 5.4-STABLE as of Apr 5th. I use
nss_ldap for a userbase of currently about 24000 accounts (will be
growing to approx 60000 in the next weeks). I don't use pam_ldap
currently, because users only need to login by IMAP, POP, SMTP and FTP,
for all of these services daemons are used which natively auth against
the LDAP server.

The more accounts there are in the LDAP directory, the longer the
startup of "top" takes. With the current userbase top takes about 3-4
seconds to start (on a mostly idle Dual Xeon 2.8GHz with fast disks and
local slapd).

The startup time is not any different, sometimes I feel (did not try to
measure) it's even longer, if I use "top -u" to not map uids. The
running processes are only from a few uids, all the LDAP users usually
don't have processes running under thier IDs.

Any ideas, why this is happening? Will I need 10 seconds, when there are
60000 accounts in LDAP? :-)

- Oliver

--
| Oliver Brandmueller | Offenbacher Str. 1  | Germany       D-14197 Berlin |
| Fon +49-172-3130856 | Fax +49-172-3145027 | WWW:   http://the.addict.de/ |