installkernel succeeds, but old kernel boots

Paco Hope freebsd-stable at filter.paco.to
Wed Apr 20 23:41:55 PDT 2005

I cvsupped the latest RELENG_5 sources and did make buildworld.  Then I
built and installed the kernel using

make -DALWAYS_CHECK_MAKE buildkernel KERNCONF=PACO
make -DALWAYS_CHECK_MAKE installkernel KERNCONF=PACO

Then I rebooted.  So far so good.  This is all normal. However, after I
reboot and run 'uname -a' I see:

FreeBSD www.provisio.net 5.3-RELEASE-p5 FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p5 #0: Sat Mar
19 01:28:39 EST 2005     root at www.provisio.net:/usr/obj/data/src/sys/PACO
i386

sysctl agrees with uname:

kern.ostype: FreeBSD
kern.osrelease: 5.3-RELEASE-p5
kern.osrevision: 199506
kern.version: FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p5 #0: Sat Mar 19 01:28:39 EST 2005
    root at www.provisio.net:/usr/obj/data/src/sys/PACO

That's my old kernel that I was trying to replace.  I run 'sysctl
kern.bootfile' and it says '/boot/kernel/kernel' so I'm a little confused.
By all indications, the file that's currently in /boot/kernel/kernel is
5.4-STABLE. I can run 'strings' on /boot/kernel/kernel and see this near
the bottom:

FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE #0: Thu Apr 21 00:04:21 EDT 2005
    root at www.provisio.net:/usr/obj/data/src/sys/PACO
FreeBSD
5.4-STABLE
PACO

It sure looks like I booted my old kernel somehow, but I can't figure out
how.  It seems unlikely that I somehow installed from a stale build tree
because I newfs'd /usr/obj before building anything.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Paco

p.s. the system is in a colo facility 2200 miles from my current location.
I can't go to the console and watch it boot.  I've done remote upgrades
from source in the past without trouble.