PXEBOOT/TFTPBOOT + big MD_ROOT problem

Marc Olzheim marcolz at stack.nl
Tue Apr 19 12:38:54 PDT 2005

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 09:31:10PM +0200, Emmanuel Chriqui wrote:
> This is roughly how it works under our linux servers, webservers, etc... I
> was hoping to avoid that approach (less work.. less maintenance..).
>
> Am I the only one on earth to need a big MFSROOT ???
> :)

Hmm, I guess so. :-P

Anyway, you might try

http://pigseye.kennesaw.edu/~dyeske/freebsd/article.html

Although I'm not sure the linker will allow you to link such a huge
object into the kernel...

I've used this patch on my netbooted FreeBSD 4.x servers, but never
larger tham 10 MB.

Another idea is to use NFS just to use the loader to 'load -t mfs_root'
the mfsroot image. After that, you wouldn't depend on NFS anymore.

Marc