PXEBOOT/TFTPBOOT + big MD_ROOT problem

Emmanuel Chriqui wingman at waika9.com
Tue Apr 19 00:52:00 PDT 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to make very big MD_ROOT (300MB) sent using PXEBOOT+TFTPBOOT. No
NFS. It's a sort of diskless machine with all the system on ram. There is a
problem when the preloaded image is >~32MB. Kernel loads but it does not
seem to find the files. It seems as if only part of the image is really
there. With a "small" image (<~32MB), no probleme. I use the same image, off
course, same init etc... just more data for my application in the big image
case.

I use a classic mfs_root approche to make my image

dd if=/dev/zero of=$MFS_FILE bs=1k count=$SIZE
mdconfig -a -t vnode -f $MFS_FILE -u0
bsdlabel -w /dev/md0
newfs /dev/md0a
mount /dev/md0a $MFS_FILE_MOUNT
cp ... my content...
umount $MFS_FILE_MOUNT
fsck -t ufs /dev/md0a
mdconfig -d -u 0

then I mount the $MFS_FILE_MOUNT .

I use i386/5.4RC2/TFTPD/PXEBOOT+TFTPBOOT .
(same pb with a 5.3).

Am I missing something obvious?

Emmanuel.