Will 5.4 be an "Extended Life" release?

Dick Davies rasputnik at hellooperator.net
Mon Apr 18 12:06:51 PDT 2005

* Brett Glass <brett at lariat.org> [0428 18:28]:
> At 11:20 AM 4/18/2005, Steve Ames wrote:
>
> >Ah. Packages and /stand/sysinstall. Yeah. I haven't installed a package from
> >sysinstall in YEARS so I probably wouldn't have noticed that. Getting
> >security updates for packages using sysinstall is a total lose. cvsup and
> >portupgrade are my tools of choice...
>
> I've never gotten portupgrade to work properly. CVS works, but is problematic
> in that when you upgrade all of your ports and then decide to deinstall one,
> the deinstall sometimes fails because of the upgrade! I like the ports
> system, but it really is rough around the edges.

What problems did you have with it?

All the grief with 'x depends on y and z, z needs i' and all that rubbish go
away with portupgrade in my experience - I tend to hook openldap into everything,
and that gets upgraded fairly regularly. On netbsd it takes an afternoon to clean
up the mess - portupgrade was a big reason for me to give freebsd another go, just
because of how it simplifies package management...

--
'The old 'give em a Linux box and they think they're Jean-Luc Picard' syndrome.'
		-- Pete Bentley