FreeBSD 5.3 SMP freezes with MySQL 4.1

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Tue Apr 12 12:02:45 PDT 2005

On Apr 12, 2005, at 12:23 PM, Young Lee wrote:

> I had repeated the panic by reset debug.mpsafenet from 0 to 1,
> after that, the system  automatically reboot after several hours,
> and if debug.mpsafenet was set to 0, the system is stable.
>
> so i guess this is a tcp stack or NIC driver SMP thread-safe issue,
> normally my server got over 1000 interrupts/s on bge, I have plan
> to replace the onboard bge NIC to fxp and set debug.mpsafenet
> to 1 to see what will happen this week.

I just did the exact same thing: disable motherboard bge in preference
to em (intel) on a PCI card, and have had 100% stable for the last 6
days.  Normally every night during heavy network backup and database
reporting the bge ports would either be reset after watchdog timeout,
or the whole system would freeze with nothing logged to console,
screen, or BIOS... so going 6 days without any events leads me to point
a big hairy finger at bge driver.  Even with mpsafenet=0, I was having
these timeouts and lockups, and bad performance thrown in. :-(

I run with mpsafenet default and the em ethernet driver.  Be sure to
disable the onboard bge in your BIOS.

I'm on a dual opteron Tyan S2881 motherboard, for what that's worth.
FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE from April 4 is my OS.

My guess is with the intel NIC you will find yourself much more stable.

On my lesser loaded machines the bge driver holds up ok.

Vivek Khera, Ph.D.
+1-301-869-4449 x806