USB mouse troubles

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Tue Apr 5 12:18:09 PDT 2005

FreeBSD 5.x has had funky issues with usb mice for as long as I've been using
a usb mouse with it, but since it almost works ok with the default
configuration, I never got around to complain about it. ;-)

However: In various sitations and configurations, USB mice are not picked up.

- With a GENERIC kernel and all of the usb support in the kernel, usb mice are
usually recognized on boot, but they will cease to work after going single
user and back to multiuser again. The /dev/ums0 device doesn't even get
removed, but the mouse is dead. Unplugging and replugging usually gets it
going again.

- With all of usb compiled as modules and usbd enabled in rc.conf, ums usually
doesn't even get loaded, but usbdevs will show the mouse plugged in. Even
subsequent unplugging and replugging will not get ums loaded. Manually
necessary first.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org