recent 5.4-PRE regression: Could not resync/reset buffers

Shaun Jurrens shaun at shamz.net
Sun Apr 3 01:59:19 PST 2005

On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 03:44:53PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
#> On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 01:39:50AM +0200, Shaun Jurrens wrote:
#>
#> > The trace doesn't look too wierd, otherwise.  There was a warning about
#> > having libm.so.2 and libm.so.3 causing a potential conflict during
#> > compile... It seems to find the correct lib, but later also opens libm.so.2
#>
#> That's a problem on your system that you should fix, then.  It may not
#> be the cause of this problem, but it can definitely cause problems and
#> you need to rule it out.

	I am in agreement with you here in general terms.  Specifically
though, there's not much chance of getting rid of libm.so.2, because half
the system uses it in some way (I just mv'd it once and things we very pear
shaped fast).  This, iirc, was some problem at 5.3-R with a version bump
that broke things on amd64 at least. One noticed quickly that the binary
pkg for cvsup needed this library, iirc.  my /lib directory has what
appears to be at least two such instances of stale libraries:

-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel   125920 Sep 21  2004 libm.so.2
-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel   233624 Sep 21  2004 libreadline.so.4

which haven't been touched by further upgrades (I use 'INSTALL=install'
instead of 'INSTALL=install -C' in /etc/make.conf).

At this point, I haven't yet discovered how to solve this predicament. Even
portupgrade is tied to libm.so.2 via ruby.

This all seems to be a sort of timing issue anyway.  As soon as I give the
box something to do (compile something or other), mpg123 starts to work
again as expected.

#>
#> Kris

--