updating from 5.2.1 to RELENG_5

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Fri Apr 1 03:55:39 PST 2005

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 11:20:09AM +0100, Phil Brennan wrote:
> As per subject, I need to do this urgently, but with minimum downtime.
> Will it be ok just to cvsup, rebuild kernel and world, mergemaster,
> (etc) like any normal update? Or do I have to do a reinstall? Any help
> appreciated.

There were some problems with this particular upgrade (though I've
forgotten if it all took place after 5.3BETA7 or even before that.

Also, many of the issues were in ports rather than base system, having
to do with some updates to gcc and libpthreads.

I have a page where I mentioned this towards the bottom at

http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/cvsup.html

(the page is dated, but it does cover that particular upgrade, which is
one reason I leave it up.)

You also might want to take a look around Freebsdforums.org, there were
a few threads on it.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Xander: Just because you're better than us doesn't mean you
can be all superior.