5.2 -> 5.3 without single mode?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun Nov 28 18:56:35 PST 2004

In message: <41AA745E.3070400 at math.missouri.edu>
            Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen at math.missouri.edu> writes:
: M. Warner Losh wrote:
: > In message: <E1CXK4m-0006Je-00._pppp-mail-ru at f21.mail.ru>
: >             dima <_pppp at mail.ru> writes:
: > : > Is it possible to cvsup from 5.2 to 5.3 without booting in single mode?
: > : > I have a remote machine and want update it, but it is no console access,
: > : > only SSH.
: > : You don't actually need to reboot in single-user mode. Just make sure your users wouldn't use the server hard during the
: > : # mergemaster -p
: > : # make installworld
: > : # mergemaster
: > : cycle. You can basically disable all the services but sshd for that task & enable them again after the second reboot.
: >
: > While you don't NEED to go into single user (I do the above all the
: > time), you are setting yourself up to get screwed the first time that
: > a new, common system call is introudced...
: >
:
: So if there is a new common system call introduced, will it arrive with
: a nice entry in UPDATING plus a HEADS UP?

Maybe, maybe not.  All I'm saying is that often you can get away with
short cuts, but unless you really know what's going on there are a
number of different things that can mess you up trying to do the
shortcut.  Some of which can be a 'restore from backup' mistake.

Warner