Ps(1) Restricting Command Lines

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 29 23:53:31 PST 2004

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 01:20:12PM -0800, Dave Tweten wrote:
+> As of my STABLE upgrade to the 8:00 GMT Saturday version, I have noticed
+> that ps(1) is behaving differently.  Unless run by root, "ps -ax" refuses
+> to print the command line associated with each process.  I've checked a
+> couple things:
+>
+> 1. /bin/ps is not SGID kmem and /dev/kmem permission is set to 0640,
+>    but that isn't the cause of this problem (though it may cause
+>    others, since the ps(1) man page says it needs to read /dev/kmem).
+>
+> 2. /proc/*/cmdline is owned by root:wheel and has 0444 permissions.
+>    It should therefore be usable by ps(1) regardless of who runs it.
+>
+> So it looks like command lines should print, but they don't.  Does anybody
+> know what's happening here?

This is my fault. Fix committed. Sorry for the mess and thank you for
your report.

--
Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       http://www.FreeBSD.org
pjd at FreeBSD.org                           http://garage.freebsd.pl