Urk, I take it back (was Re: Bug in p_estcpu handling onprocess exit in FBsd-4.x)

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Tue Mar 23 08:15:43 PST 2004

:In case abyone interested the patch for stable as of today is attached.
:
:Sincerely,
:D.Marck                                     [DM5020, MCK-RIPE, DM3-RIPN]

    That looks good.

    One additional note: this has been working extremely well for us so
    far.  I can run make -j 8 buildworld's on my workstation and X remains
    completely smooth.  One person complained about mpg321 becoming
    jerky in the face of a make -j 8.   But I'm not sure there is an easy
    way for any scheduler to check for that case since on a slow machine
    mpg321 is essentially cpu bound (though perhaps the kernel could flag
    processes talking to particular devices).  Nicing it down to -1, or
    nicing the buildworld to +1, solves the problem.

    This scheduler change also has the interesting side effect of exposing
    bugs in make -j n buildworld's (missing .ORDER's and dependancies)
    because new child processes do not get cpu instantly.  I just recently
    made a bunch of mostly minor commits to DFly to correct most of
    buildworld's parallel-make issues.  Without the changes things like
    mkdir -p in crypto and helper-generated header files would race and
    one out of every 6 -j 4 buildworlds would fail.  With the changes I
    have so far been able to run through 40 -j 4 buildworlds without error.

						-Matt