/etc/login.access suspicious statement

Stijn Hoop stijn at win.tue.nl
Fri Mar 19 03:56:34 PST 2004

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 08:10:51PM +0900, Rob wrote:
> In /etc/login.access I find these lines:
>
>   # Disallow non-local logins to privileged accounts (group wheel).
>   #
>   #-:wheel:ALL EXCEPT LOCAL .win.tue.nl
>
> What is the ".win.tue.nl" doing here?
>
> Is somebody at ".win.tue.nl" hoping for an innocent user to uncomment
> this and allow login permission to the machine...;)?

Well it has suprised me in the past as well, even if I work at .win.tue.nl :)

It boils down to the fact that the author of the tcpwrappers, Wietse Venema,
once worked at our department (the Faculty of Mathematics & Computer Science
of Eindhoven Technical University). He chose to document his wrappers using
his local examples. These are just those examples.

But it got me as well -- when I tried to determine what I'd changed locally a
grep of 'win.tue.nl' showed up far more files than I had ever touched :)

In any case, for political correctness the examples could be changed to the
formal example domain names (example.org iirc). I just don't think anyone was
bothered enough to do that.

HTH,

--Stijn (@win.tue.nl :)

--
"Diane, 2:15 in the afternoon, November 14. Entering town of Twin Peaks.
 Five miles south of the Canadian border, twelve miles west of the state