Weird NFSvs rdirplus issues

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Thu Mar 18 12:35:23 PST 2004

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Mike Andrews wrote:

> I've been experimenting with readdirplus and running into two bizarre situations.
>
> Bizarre situation #1 is the easy one: when you try to put the acdirmin/max
> and acregmin/max options on an NFS filesystem in /etc/fstab, mount
> (actually mount_nfs) will dump core on 4.9-RELEASE-p4 but not on
> 5.2.1-RELEASE-p3:
>
> # grep acreg /etc/fstab
> server:/fs /mnt nfs,ro,-lis,acdirmin=0,acdirmax=1,acregmin=0,acregmax=1 0 0
> # mount /mnt
> mount: server:/fs: Segmentation fault

What happens if you change "-lis" to "rdirplus,soft,intr,nfsv3"?
Readdirplus is a v3 call so it might imply it anyway, but best to be safe.

> Bizarre situation #2 is why I was messing with those options in the first
> place...
>

> With readdirplus enabled (i.e. 'rdirplus' or '-l' in the fstab mount
> options) files sometimes, but not always, disappear when they're written
> -- which is just a bit alarming.  :)  One way to reproduce this easily is
> to have /usr/ports be an NFS mount and try to build a port that does
> patches -- the .orig file will be created but the patched file will be
> gone, which causes the build to fail with "no such file or directory"
> errors.  A specific port I've seen this on is the lang/ruby16 port:

There was a problem with readdirplus on CD9660 filesystems... readdirplus
uses a different VFS op than, say, ls, and it exposed a nasty bug. I would
sure hope the same thing doesn't exist for ufs, although it wouldn't be
outside the realm of possibility.