ftp.perl.org strangeness

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Mar 16 20:15:12 PST 2004

> > On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 09:27:27AM -0500, Louis A. Mamakos wrote:
> > >
> > > Wouldn't it be nice to be able to configure the default behavior of
> > > the resolver to not query AAAA records first, before looking for A
> > > records? [...]
>
> Tim Robbins noted:
> > This was discussed recently on -current:
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=freebsd-current&m=107607971200977&w=2
>
> That thread might lead one to believe that destination address
> selection in -CURRENT would give the described behavior, but
> I'm not so sure.  Destination address selection comes into
> play after you have resolved names to addresses.  My guess is
> even with IPv4 destination addresses preferred in
> /etc/ip6addrctl.conf the resolver will still query for both
> AAAA and A records when the client is IPv6-enabled.  If the
> AAAA query comes first and a bork load balancer returns
> NXDOMAIN, the negative response will likely be cached and
> result in the subsequent A query failing as well, meaning no
> IPv4 address to prefer.

	This issue really gets blown out of proportion.  You have
	a couple of *broken* nameservers worldwide. There really
	are not a lot of them, they just happen to be high profile
	servers.

	When you find one, report it.  If people did this originally
	rather than hacking software to work around the brokeness
	there wouldn't be a problem now.

	Mark