HyperThreading CPU's

Marius M. Rex MARIUS marius at mail.communityconnect.com
Mon Mar 15 12:38:20 PST 2004

In my fairly recent version of the UPDATING file for 4.9-stable it states
that I have to use sysctl to modify the value of 'machdep.hlt_logical_cpus' to
'0' to get all of my logical CPU's enabled under hyperthreading.

Is this change still necessary?  sysctl spits that oid out as unknown
when I try to look at it. I do have similar oids but nothing that matches that
value precisely:

machdep.cpu_idle_hlt: 1
machdep.smp_cpus: 2
machdep.hlt_cpus: 0

Basically I have one CPU that is recognized as 2 CPUs by the kernel.  I
know that works as it appears in my dmesg.  I just want to know if there
is anything else I need to do to make sure both logical CPUs are available
for use.

-Marius M. Rex
System Admin
Community Connect Inc.