Backporting S-ATA driver SiI 3112a to FreeBSD-STABLE?

Palle Girgensohn girgen at pingpong.net
Fri Mar 12 18:20:23 PST 2004

Hi,

I've received a bunch of ASUS A7N8X-E deluxe together with Serial ATA hard
disks. I had planned to run 4.9 on this combo, but it seems the Serial ATA
support for this driver does not exist before 5.x or so. The controller is
a SiI 3112a from Silicon Image.

Is there any chance of backporting this driver to -STABLE? At a glance, it
seems like a lot of work?

We will use these machines as developer workstations, and need them to have
the same major FreeBSD revision as our customer servers, so we must really
run FreeBSD 4.x. Hence, I have two choices, either backporting the SiS
3112a driver from -CURRENT, or trying to get the store to accept trading
the harddisks for plain old parallel ATA ones.

Also, I've read a few pretty bad judgements about this controller from some
individuals. Is this true in any way?

Suggestions and input appreciated.

Thanks,
Palle