Odd network issue ... *very* slow scp between two servers

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Sun Mar 7 11:04:33 PST 2004

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> At 01:54 PM 07/03/2004, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >On Sat, 6 Mar 2004, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> >
> > >  From your original post it looks like you had it 100 full manual which
> > > will not work on an unmanaged switch.
> >
> >Actually, originally it was autoneg, but we had to change it to manual due
> >to a problem where aliasing an IP onto it was being passed up to the
> >switch properly ... once we changed it to manual, everything worked (for
> >that) perfectly :(
>
> The fix for the link bouncing when adding an alias was MFC'd in mid Feb
> http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200402102131.i1ALVA50071539

'k, according to the log:

Only reset the phy when it is absolutely required.
This should fix the issues with long *init* times when
you do ifconfig em0 alias.

the 'long init times' was what prevented the iP change from being sent
out?

Regardless, I'm going to do an upgrade on that server this week, since its
well overdue ...

----