Fairly regular crash with usb disk backup

S. Anthony Sequeira tony at sequeira.com
Wed Jul 14 10:59:05 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 15:07, Charles Ulrich wrote:
> S. Anthony Sequeira said:
[...]
> I believe I have a similar situation.
>
> My main server at home ran a number of different operating systems in the past
> with no stability issues until I installed FreeBSD 4.10. After that, it would
> reboot with no provocation or explanation approximately once a day. Uptime
> varied between 5 minutes and 2 days.

My symptoms differ inasmuch as the crash only occurs when I attempt to
use the USB drive.

> Thinking that I perhaps had a dodgy motherboard, I replaced it and all was
> well for about 4 days. It rebooted again this morning with explanation. A
> closer look at the logs revealed that my el-cheapo USB 2.0 card freaked out an
> hour before reboot on two occasions, so if the machine reboots again I'm going
> to try yanking out the USB card since I'm not really using it at the moment.

The drive is connected to a USB 1.0 built-in port.  No card yet, though
I may look for one soon.  Speed is not of the essence for my backups
currently.

> That may not be an option for you since you use USB to back your system up,
> but maybe we can get a developer to help us find a fix or workaround.

Yes, there is obviously a problem, maybe not the same problem, but
similar.  I would like to assist the developers to track it down, if
they are interested.

--
You climb to reach the summit, but once there, discover that all roads
lead down.