USB/CAM multi-lun devices

Dmitry Morozovsky marck at rinet.ru
Thu Apr 29 09:25:55 PDT 2004

Dear colleagues,

trying to connect Apacer multi-flash USB reader

[usbdevs -v]
port 2 addr 2: full speed, power 500 mA, config 1, Embedded Reader(0x0240), Apacer(0x0d7d), rev 1.00

I got only the first sub-reader connected:

Creating DISK da0
pass0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
pass0: <Apacer Embedded Reader 3.02> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
pass0: Serial Number \^_
pass0: 650KB/s transfers
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): READ CAPACITY. CDB: 25 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): NOT READY asc:3a,0
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Medium not present
da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <Apacer Embedded Reader 3.02> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da0: Serial Number \^_
da0: 650KB/s transfers
da0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present

I tried to detect this device under -current snapshot from 20040422, and it
successfully detects reader as multi-lun device, creating da0 to da3 disk
devices (some of them miss to create s1 partition, but this is another story)

I looked into sources a bit, and google also, but without much success. So, am
I right in my assumption that -stable does not support multi-lun devices at
all?  And, how much effort would it require to port it from -current?

Of course, I would be glad to test solutions/patches proposed.

Sincerely,