ipfilter/ipfw + bridge + out checking

Aristeu Gil Alves Jr suporte at wahtec.com.br
Mon Apr 26 16:43:16 PDT 2004

Hi all.

I didn't find any thread discussing it, sorry if I am re-posting the same
subject.
Is there a way to check the ipfilter/ipfw out-flow with bridge? Is it
implemented already?

The case ilustrated in most howtos is shown with only two NICs

 NET-1
___________
|bridge-fw|
-----------
 NET-2

It's important for us to use a bridge-fw with three NICs.

 NET-1
___________
|bridge-fw|== NET-3
 NET-2

without the out packet controling, a solution with three or more NIC's could
lead to an information leak problem. I've heard this checking is not done
due a performance issue (it's writen in ipf-howto), but performance is not
the main goal in this particular situation. I would like to have the
stateful firewall and the bridge _fully_ working together.

If there's anything I can do to contribute, I'll be happy to help.

[]'s
--aristeu