Sophos and compat3x dependency

Jim Sills jsills at g3llc.com
Sat Apr 24 10:19:07 PDT 2004

Andy,

I currently use Sophos on FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE without any 3.x
compatibility.  I have been using it in this configuration for 5 months.
I use MailScanner as the frontend that invokes sweep (Sophos) and
also SpamAssassin. This setup has been fantastic for our company. I installed
the httpupd script to update the IDE files (it runs from cron every 30
minutes). We average about 25 viruses per day in the inbound email.

To protect the desktop I installed the Sophos desktop scanners on 12
Windows 2000 desktop. The updates to these are managed by Sophos
Enterprise Manager on our NT 4.0 Exchange server, with the CID (central
installation directory) located on the FreeBSD system.

For our laptop users I install Sophos RemoteUpdate which pulls the
updates from the Apahce webserver on the FreeBSD system (both in the
office and on the road).

Just before I emailed you I downloaded the latest version of sweep
(Sophos) on a FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE system again without any 3.x stuff
and scanned the /usr/local directory...success...

Note: their product called MailMonitor which does not run on FreeBSD
(works on Linux) and this is why the you have to use MailMonitor or AMaViS.

If you want to discuss our experience with Sophos please email me:

Jim Sills <jsills at g3llc.com>

Below is the output of sweep -v

%sweep -v
SWEEP virus detection utility
Copyright (c) 1989,2004 Sophos Plc, www.sophos.com

System time 12:11:21, System date 24 April 2004

Product version           : 3.81
Engine version            : 2.19
User interface version    : 2.07.060
Platform                  : FreeBSD/Intel
Released                  : 03 May 2004
Total viruses (with IDEs) : 89756