HTT and SMP question

Rumen Telbizov altares at e-card.bg
Tue Apr 20 07:56:40 PDT 2004

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 02:48:26PM +0100, Pete French wrote:
> > Would you please point out some cases when HTT with machdep.hlt_logical_cpus=0
> > causes worse performance than machdep.hlt_logical_cpus=1?
>
> Doing a large 'make' does it for me - small difference, but measurable.
> I get the best poerformance by compiling out SMP alltogether though.
> As my machine spends most of its time doing 'make' then for me it's worth

Ok

> removing it entirely (aside from the fact that my machine isnt stable
> under HTT)

I have a single Xeon 2.66 on a dual processor board
and I did recompile the kernel with SMP support in
first place! HTT is enabled by default!

With these 2 things in mind - the box is rock solid
for over 2 weeks with average load. I am not sure about _how much_
faster it is with HTT (and machdep.hlt_logical_cpus=0)
but at least it IS stable! The OS is 4.9-STABLE (cvsuped
1 week ago).

Are you sure that exactly the HTT is causing you
the instabillity problems ?

Regards
Rumen Telbizov