4.9 SMP Stability?

Chris Dillon cdillon at wolves.k12.mo.us
Thu Apr 15 12:51:12 PDT 2004

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, Rick Updegrove wrote:

> Rob wrote:
>
> > Have a look at your /var/log/messages file. You may have run out
> > of swap space.
>
> Thanks Rob.  I always read all the logs : ) The only thing in
> messages was:
>
> Apr 13 14:09:52 govmail /kernel: pid 43747 (cc1), uid 0: exited on
> signal 11 (core dumped)

The fact that you get a Signal 11 one time and then it works without
fail the next time means you more than likely have a hardware problem.
It could be heat-related, or you could just have flaky hardware.

I've been running FreeBSD 4.10-BETA on my Dual 1.8GHz Opteron with 2GB
ECC RAM without the slightest problem.  I've even stress-tested it by
putting both /usr/src and /usr/obj on memory filesystems and then
doing a continuous loop of -j4 buildworlds.  That went on for over 24
hours with no problems.  11 minutes per buildworld is pretty neat,
too. :-)

--
 Chris Dillon - cdillon(at)wolves.k12.mo.us
 FreeBSD: The fastest, most open, and most stable OS on the planet

A: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?