4.9 SMP Stability?

Michael Sig Birkmose michael at gisp.dk
Tue Apr 13 22:58:00 PDT 2004

Hi Rick,

> I did reboot to the single CPU 4.8-RELEASE kernel and it built fine.
> Then I accidentally hit up arrow and it started make -j4 buildword again
> so I am letting it finish (again)
>
> I will post the results of the new kernal etc soon.

I'm not sure but couldn't the -j4 be a problem. The handbook writes:

<quote>
On a typical single-CPU machine you would run:

# make -j4 buildworld

make(1) will then have up to 4 processes running at any one time.
Empirical evidence posted to the mailing lists shows this generally gives
the best performance benefit.

If you have a multi-CPU machine and you are using an SMP configured kernel
try values between 6 and 10 and see how they speed things up.

Be aware that this is still somewhat experimental, and commits to the
source tree may occasionally break this feature. If the world fails to
compile using this parameter try again without it before you report any
problems.
</quote>

Cheers,
Michael