FYI: umct(4) driver MFC'd (Belkin USB PDA Adapter driver)

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Mon Apr 12 22:53:04 PDT 2004

I just MFC'd the umct(4) driver from 5-CURRENT to 4-STABLE for inclusion
in FreeBSD 4.10.  Among other things, this driver supports the Belkin USB
PDA Adapter, which lets you plug old-fashioned 9-pin serial devices into
USB ports via the ucom(4) driver.  I'm using this locally to give a box
more serial ports to hook up other machines' serial consoles with a fair
amount of luck.  It's probably not the cheapest adapter in the world, but
it seems to work quite well with both -CURRENT and now -STABLE.

If you have any problems as a result of the MFC (build, etc, for the
driver), please let me know.  More general USB questions are probably
still best addressed to Julian Elischer <julian at FreeBSD.org>.

Thanks, needless to say, to Scottl Long <scottl at FreeBSD.org>, for writing
this driver which required only trivial tweaking to get to work in 4.x.

robert at fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research