ATA problem installing on Vaio

Lamont Lucas lamont at cluepon.com
Tue Dec 23 10:50:55 PST 2003

Ha, I was just posting a similar problem.  I got past that by running
the patch at the bottom of:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-i386/2003-September/000325.html

then remaking the ISOs.  That let me at least install freebsd, but
I can't get it to boot.  However, I suspect my problems are related to
my attempting to keep a dual boot install and putting freebsd way high
up on the disk.  Your mileage may vary.

If you'd like I can send you a link to my 4.9-stable+patches miniinst
iso.

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 12:30:13AM +0000, Richard Tobin wrote:
> I tried to install FreeBSD 4.9 on a Sony Vaio PCG-TR1MP.  It hangs
> during boot (requiring a power-cycle) after printing:
>
>  ata1-slave: ATAPI identify retries exceeded
>  pccard: card inserted, slot 0
>  ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
>  ata0 resetting devices ..
>
> I found several references to similar problems, but no solution.
>
> The same happens with the 4.8 install CD.
>
> -- Richard

 - Lamont
"I am not an atomic playboy."