WRITE command timeout

Frank McConnell fmc at reanimators.org
Mon Dec 22 10:00:46 PST 2003

"Oivind H. Danielsen" <oivind.danielsen at kopek.net> wrote:
>  Dec 18 15:15:39 <> /kernel: ad0: WRITE command timeout tag=0 serv=0 -
> resetting
>  Dec 19 15:03:23 <> /kernel: ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 -
> resetting

I have recently (Friday, today) seen these messages with a new box
running 4.8-RELEASE-p14.  Replacing the hard disk and cable did not
help.  The key in this case appears to be the kernel configuration,
which included options SMP and APIC but not HTT.  GENERIC works fine,
GENERIC + SMP + APIC fails, GENERIC + SMP + APIC + HTT appears to work
thus far (makes it through a buildworld without provoking a timeout).

4.8-RELEASE-p14 on Intel SE7501CW2 with two 2.4GHz Xeons and 512MB RAM.

No idea whether this will help you; looking at your kernel config
file, I have my doubts (doesn't look like you are using SMP).  Maybe
it will be a clue to someone though.

-Frank McConnell