Ultra 5 Boot Hang Update.

Michelle Sullivan michelle at sorbs.net
Tue May 9 22:38:12 UTC 2017

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
> OK.  I took everyone's suggestions to heart.  I downloaded the 9.3 disk1
> and copied it's kernel onto tftp.  I also disconnected the CDROM and the
> hard drive I had the box.  I also disconnected the floppy.  At this point I
> checked the operation of the fans.  All good.  Nothing but the motherboard
> and riser in the machine now.
>
> After all this, it stops the boot in much the same place.  You can see that
> here: https://owncloud.towernet.ca/index.php/s/NEYqfeaUwHkGOSl
>
> As before STOP-A doesn't do anything anymore.  I've always thought STOP-A
> was a poor key choice... I've accidentally typed it on several workstations
> that I've owned in the SPARC family.
>
> So... ideas?  Is this machine just hosed?

Pretty sure that's hosed ...however I have a stack of them here... will
get out a machine and see if I can boot the 9.3 ... I know I have 9.2 on
a load of stuff, and I know I have my own code based on the 9.3 that
boots (though it has its own other probs atm)...  they are all pretty
much the same though so it will soon prove dead or not...

On a similar note... have around 20 U5's if anyone wants them - no hard
drives, but as far as I know all working everything from 270MHz to
440MHz boxes... free to anyone that wants to waste money on postage from
Malta (Europe).

Regards,

--
Michelle Sullivan